Saturday, September 1, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

Sat. 8am. It's a beautiful weekend here in the Northeast. Rebekah and Greg and the kids are in Virginia Beach for the Leukemia Foundation Rock n Roll Run. Together they raised over $12,000. I'm so proud of and thankful to the 2 of them. I still have not gotten a report about my liver. It seems it's a vacation week, things are slower this week. One clerk at the Radiation office said reports take 2 days, sending me into today which of course is a holiday weekend. This despite the fact my Doctor said he could read the results to me hours after the test; meantime he was off yesterday. So, we'll wait until next week for the details. The test was a noisy MRI and the technician neglected to offer me earplugs; after 3 loud courses I pushed the panic button and asked when will I be done??, she said I was only 1/4 done; I told her it was too loud, I was a musician and had to protect my hearing; she asked "don't you have earplugs in??" NO. Somebody forgot about that. Dumb. One of the first mishaps I've come across at MSKCC. Most are so thorough and professional. I also asked her to start warning me when the noise was coming and to explain the process as we went along. She was pretty much not interested in a patients comfort, reaction etc.
Meantime after the test Carol and I had a wonderful visit with Bob and Doreen Ayers at their shop on 47th street. Bob is a very experienced percussionist now renting instruments and rehearsal space to performers in and around NYC. They have a great space, immense number of interesting and valuable instruments, (including my 1st Kay double bass!!) and we had a great time seeing the setup and having lunch at a diner. Fun. We had worked together in Caldwell and NJ Symphony , North Jersey Wind Symphony and NJ Pops, and PaperMill Playhouse for many years. So my goals for this weekend are to keep warming up my chops to hopefully get back into rehearsing Brass 5 and Tbone 4 and Blues Band. Its coming along. I enjoy the practicing time and the time tp paint etc. This week we spent time framing drawings. Fun. Next week I join an Artists Forum at 1978 to share/critique etc. Blood test numbers from Tuesday are ok, not great. It seems with each progressive Chemo it takes longer for the bone marrow to replenish etc. I'm protected and don't need transfusion support at this time, but I thought my numbers would be higher. I feel good and will get another set of numbers on Sept. 10th when I go for blood test, bone marrow test and a final CT Scan on the lungs/pneumonia thing. Carol and I are having a good time here in Maplewood this holiday weekend. I haven't yet gotten to Woodstock but we will this fall. Peace. Enjoy the weekend. JIMBO

1 comment:

Randi said...

Hi, Jim. I'm sorry to hear about the MRI. I've gotten them several times, and despite the ear plugs, I get a migraine headache every time. Sometimes they've put music on over the noise, which is really bad. It has taken about 45 minutes each time, which is long, but if you know in advance, it's a little better. Anyway, the main thing is getting a good result, which I plan to hear from you on Tuesday! I'm glad you and Carol are enjoying a beautiful weekend at home. Lots of love to you, Carol, and Grandma, Randi