Tuesday, November 28, 2006

11:15pm, Tues.


This morning after my shower Carol said I looked better so I took a pic. It's a hellish journey since Thursday night when the Chemo ended and my body shut down, but I have a huge team of doctors/nurses etc. all brewing up a cocktail of anti- biotics, inti-virals,, anti-fungals, blood transfusions, platelet transfusins,anti-nausea meds etc....We had a quieter day today. The sugar has been problematic and I can't stomach pills, so I was a mess.3 days on diapers, today I got rid of that. I'm now learning to use diabetic pen systems, working good, new system, wait till I tell Leon in the office. Ellen, the Diabetic Eduucator spent agood session with me yesterday, suggesting a BRATT diet, Bananas (yum), Rice (chicken soup with rice is nice), Apple (sauce, like mom used to give me), Toast and Tea (again, what Mary Buchanan gave us as kids home from elementary school with a cold, digging Martin Bloch or William B. Willams and the Make Believe Ballroom). So, through those awful days, Thurs-Mon., my fevers were multiple, and a big drag. Tylenols ( we finally remembered liquid tylenol the last night!!) One night the nurse changed the bed and me 2x!!, the second time she gave me a heavenly body wash, what relief!!. But next time I try to sleep up popped a spike. So, Cat scans of intestines and x rays of lungs,some colitis, eventually we got it under control, no fevers today, which is why I can write. Tonight I played Vivaldi's String symphonies and imagined going back to Luzerne, Mt. Riggi (YOEC 2000), swimming in Gerry and Dawns lake (next spring guys, I'll be there, Freddie too, and Bruce and Judys too). Clear free floating in a mountain lake. Thats what I'm aiming for. I miss you all. I love you all. Thanks for the cards and e mails, and support for Carol, she's been here with me the past 2 nights and more and she can tell you how little sleep we get. They tell me I may up for another night of Blood transfusion and platelets tonight, we'll see. I can sleep throgh that. Peace. JIMBO

8 comments:

Debra said...

Good morning, James! So good to see you were able to post on your blog. It sounds hellish. I'm glad you've had a bit of relief. Looking forward to seeing you. Thanks for passing on word of the violin article to Elfin.
We're all hanging in there with you.

Love you,
Debra

Matt said...

Hi Jim!

Good to hear from you! I am off to London next week but hope to see you after I return. We are looking forward to seeing you at 121 Lexington as soon as possible. You are doing the heavy driving but we are all trucking along with you.

All our love,

Matt and Erica

Anonymous said...

you emerge!!! happy to see your smiling face. it warms the heart. clinking my tea cup with yours, drinking to your good health! love ya, fran

Terri said...

Hi Jim.

Thanks for sharing and so glad you are feeling better. It is really great being able to communicate like this really! Send our love to Carol.

We're thinking of you.

With love.

Terri

Christine said...

Hi Jim and Carol,

So glad we're able to see how marvelous you look, Jim. And what a big banana you have!

Jim, we're sending good karma to the higher powers for your speedy recovery.

We're in NYC on the 8th so would love to visit you. Or, hopefully you'll be home so we could visit there instead.

Never used a BLOG before. Once more I'm getting an education from you.

Your January party friends,
Tom and Christine (aka Crissy Decker.

Suzanne said...

Hi Jim & Carol,

I am a colleague of Debra's. I'm sorry to hear about your illness. My husband just came home from MSKCC after a long stay. We were very happy with the treatment and service there, you are probably in one of the best places. It's a long road, but you do the best you can. Hang in there. It's not easy, but I think posting on your blog will help you deal with the emotional intensity of it all. All the best and hoping for the least amount of side effects and a most speedy recovery.

Randi said...

Hi, Jim. I was so moved to read your words describing your daily treatment and experience of it, and I thought you'd like to hear about the family's daily routine since you've been in the hospital. Wake up, visualize you healing and Carol staying strong. Get the kids off to school, check your blog, and call Deb about what she's heard about you for the day. Call Grandma, call Carol, talk to RJ, my mom, Glenn, anyone who has called to check in on you, and then Deb again, all about how you are doing. At night we go through the rounds again. Last night Glenn said, "I miss Jim so much. I got so much comfort from spending time with him." So, as you can see, we are with you all the way, and whenever you are ready for visitors, let us know. Meanwhile, we'll keep our germs to ourselves. As you can see, we all love you soo much! Stay strong! Love, Randi

Tom Lloyd said...

Hey Jim

Glad to hear you are going home. Hope you are feeling better. Look forward to seeing you guys around the holidays.

Tom