Sunday, November 19, 2006

1st Healing Blog 11.19.06



Well folks I had my 1st Chemo Sat at 5 pm. All going well. I still have color, energy, enthusiasm. My wonderful nurse Katrina (as Irish as Paddies pig my Mom used to say) said "we'll fix that". Of course as the days continue I'll tell you how it's going. Meantime, my story.

Early Oct. I asked Dr. Loeffler for a checkup, I wanted to be sure my hemerrhoids weren't masking something else. Blood work comes back low Hemoglobin, low reds and according to Dr. Condren alarmingly low whites.Redo. Worse. Go to Hematologist, do not pass go! Dr. Michael Wax in Summit Med Gp does Bone marrow biopsy. Go home and sweat it all. Carol and I had a beautiful weekend in Bev and Brians shore home. Mon Oct. 30th (mind you less than 20 days ago) diagnosis MDS(RAEB). Oi vey!!! Make apptmt.
for Chemo (Vidaza). Family screams "2nd opinion, 2nd opinion!!". Carol sends papers to Memorial Sloan Kettering. Bob Harris
(the Machatunen sp?, I don't spell Yiddish) calls doctors who get me an appt. Dr. Ellin Berman calls me personally and gives me an appt, for Mon, 10:30. She and another examine my papers, slides, new bloodwork (now showing blasts in my stream, more than Oi gevult!!!) . She sees a sore on my leg and says "Mr. Buchanan, you must be in a hospital today. You can go back to Michael Wax (who she knows and respects, like everyone else) at Overlook, or we have a bed upstair here at MSK. 5 minutes of CB and I alone, decision:stay here. Eliin does another Biopsy on right side this time. She says I have tough bones, she had to go in 4 times. Ouch!!. Not really, thank God for Novacaine.
So, this hospital environment is comfortable. The bed adjusts to my every move, as does the entire staff. (Metaphor, gotta compose a poem or tune about that). 24 hour services of all types. I bet you only have beautiful nurses waking you up in your dreams, I on the other hand....

3 comments:

nstraus@yahoo.com said...

Tonto and I wish you well.
As you know, "Life is too serious to be taken seriously."
By the way, rumors of us performing unnatural acts with"Silver" are entirely true.
Film at 11.

Mish Kara said...

Well sounds like all the people are doing all the right things for you. You are in the best possible place - nice to have connections. Well since you are being so well cared for, all I can add are some hugs, grins and love.

Mish

kahiki said...

Bucky, all seriousness aside, don't get too comfortable in that resort. They will not think twice about booting you out as soon as the concierge complains about your abuse of room service.
We have reservations pending at Ceceres anyway.

~Coop