Friday, March 16, 2007

Back In the H

Fri., March 16, 4:30 am. There's a reason I haven't written in a few days. Carol drove me in Wed. to MSK for a blood test/checkup. Once Dr. Berman saw my red nose she slapped my ass right in the hospital bed, Room 1225A. IT SEEMS NOW IS THE TIME FOR MY NUMBERS TO SINK, PUTTING ME IN DANGER WITH NO WBCS. THE RED NOSE APPEARS TO BE AN INFECTION AT A LOCATION OF ALOT OF BACTERIA ETC AS IT ENTERS THE BODY. SOOO, NEED INTRAVENOUS anti biotics, specifically Vacomycin. Get about 2 bags a day. I feel fine. Haven't yet felt sluggish. Had a platelets transfusion (thank you again John Straus) on Wed once I was in the room. Then yesterday I found out once you've been brought in for any problem during this post Chemo period they keep you here until your numbers go back up. Sooo...I'll be here at least 10 days. Drag, but I realize theese guys know what they're doing and I don't need a huge infection fight. I'd rather feel well and take the necessary precautions. With the diabetes etc. a fight against an infection can be a mean, heart stopping challenge if you know what I mean. So, here I am, resting. Not a bad thing considering the way I have lived my life. Slowing down for a bit to read, practice guitar, paint, talk. It's all ok.
My eyes have been a bit of a challenge. Burning, trouble focusing etc. so we continue the eyedrops, and its getting better.
Carol had a meeting last night, and then today with a storm coming she will come in early and make an early decision about traveling home. Meantime, I can't feel here that the temperature was in the 60s then the 30s. Its the same each day here. I got up to the Library to checkout some tired old books. I have a chance to get to a concert now and then as well, unless, as what happened yesterday, I get drugged up (with Benadryl) before the concert time, then I sleep through. After Benadryl I can't negotiate the halls etc. I'll get a ticket for driving a drip pole while under the influence!! The food is still ok, but I've settled in to rather a repetitive cycle of foods. I'm hungup on Chicken Consomme, oatmeal w/ stewed prunes, and an occasional quesadilla. But, it's ok. I was at the Parkwood on Tuesday with Susan for a great breakfast. You can call me at 212/639-4360 or 973/868-1679. Meantime enjoy the gigs. JIMBO

2 comments:

Randi said...

Hi, Jim. It's wet and slushy out here, so when you are feeling cooped up, try to remember that you're not really missing much out there right now! We're thinking of you and Carol! Lots of love, Randi, Glenn, Elana, and Dylan

Glenn Metsch-Ampel said...

Morning, Jim, and happy St. Paddy's Day. It's about 8:30 AM and everything is covered in snow outside. I'm sitting at our kitchen table sending you good thoughts. It was good talking to you last night. After we spoke, I played Peter's old EKO acoustic a bit while thinking of you. As usual, you're an inspiration. Look forward to seeing you soon.
XO, Glenn