Tuesday, March 6, 2007

In the hospital

Tues. 3/5 at 4 pm. Well we're back on the 12th floor of MSK until Saturday. I completed 2 bags of Cytarabine (sp?), one last night at 6, another 6 this am. Now I'm off the Chemo until Wed night. But of course there is a cocktail of bags dripping saline, and anti nausea drugs, some antibiotics etc. Extra pills for laxative, Nexium for the possible flux problems, etc. Its funny how the schedule goes between administering insulin to administering eyedrops, pills,etc. it sometimes is hard to get to sleep at night. Oh yes, I forgot, 2 times over night and 3 or 4 times during the day the assistant nurse takes your vitals: temp from the mouth, blood pressure and pulse rate and oxygen. More interrupted sleep. I'm not complaining, these guys are taking care of business and I have all day to catchup. I got in 2 naps today until the phone rang and then Doctor Berman came to visit me. All is going well so far.
Just for kicks I investigated over internet the process for Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT) and I can see why she hopes to avoid that very straining process for me. Dr. Berman is quite certain she can get me into remission by this process such that I don't need BMT. It's a bear.
So, the food here is still good, and I'm gaining weight ok. Not that I need to, but what the hell, I gotta try everything on the menu don't I??
So I hear it's cold out there today. Buncha wimps, it feels toasty warm here. Got some books, CDs, DVD's, my classical guitar and some music books, and a drawing pad and pencils with me, and of course this laptop, so I can keep very entertained here. Carol was with me all day yesterday and Debra came by last night for a calming visit. So all in all, we hope for this round to again be uneventful. But when I remembered to tell the team about a fall I had on the ice in Bethesda I got read the riot act. I never felt any problem, but evidently as a Leukemia patient I am in real scary territory with respect to falls, bleeding, infections etc. Until this process is over (hopefully by next fall) I cannot make decisions about any such events myself. I have to report it to the docs and go to a hospital to be evaluated. Maybe x rays, scans etc. Gotta go. JIM

No comments: