Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Berkshires

Sun., 3/4 at 7:00 pm. Well Carol and I have continued our new tradition of getting away alone for a few days before I go back in for more Chemo. This time to beautiful Lenox, Mass., which is quiet this time of year. There was still snow and ice around, but we took 2 hikes into Kennedy Park and into the Audobon property. We enjoyed restaurants, and a fine bookstore. The Garden Gables Inn had classical music playing in the beautiful living rooms with a glowing fireplace and delicious snacks; cider, cookies, apples and sherry. The breakfasts were wonderful, our hostess Cindy was lovely and lead a good Yoga class. The old house is sprawling with interesting corridors and our room was sunny, with a porch and a hot tub. Big King size bed. All lovely. Walking distance to restaurants and shops. We took a side trip to North Adams to see the new art project MASSMoCa, an old mill/factory made into enormous art space. Very interesting, although 2 floors were closed for setting up a new exhibit.

Then we also enjoyed the Norman Rockwell Museum. On the way up we stopped by the Woodstock house and on the way down we stopped in Woodstock to visit Taco Juan's for my favorite: a baby wet Burrito (with Beans). Yummmm.
So today we enjoyed Kim and Skip's engagement party on the beach in Long Branch at Rooneys. Then over to Highlands to visit Bruce and Laurie, then over to see Kim and Janes house project in Rumson, then back home.
Last night my cousins Barbara and Ed dropped by to visit and we ate at the Parkwood (hadn't been there in days). Great to see them as they head South for the spring.

Last night Benjamin and Maayan were in the Purim play at schul, as was their Daddy. I believe they were among the kids who held the signs of introduction for the different acts. I can't wait to see the video. Soooo cute. I assume they were dressed up as well. Maybe I'll get pix on the email soon. Love them soooooo much.

So tomorrow the hospital asks me to check in at 1 pm. I started the eye drops (to prevent the Chemo from burning up my eyeballs!!) and expect the 1st bag to be loaded and ready at about 5 pm, after some hydration, anti-nausea drugs, etc. etc.
So, again, thanks for your constant support, good wishes, blood and platelet donations, prayers and good vibrations. I'll send reports from the 12th floor at Memorial Sloane Kettering. I'm interested in trying to talk this time more with other patients about our experiences. I miss Michael so much. He was brilliant we all know, but so kind and upbeat through the times we talked about this disease and therapy. I listened to some more of his music today.
Peace and Love, JIMBO

1 comment:

Randi said...

Hi, Jim. Just thinking about you and Carol here in Montclair. It's absolutely FREEZING outside--stay warm! Love, Randi