Thursday, March 8, 2007

Spending time

Thurs. 3/8;2:15 pm. You know, in 64 years of living on this earth I've not taken much time for pause. We live in such an active world. I'm not complaining, I like being active. But here I'm alone alot with time to think, listen to music, write my blog etc. As I'm writing I'm digging a fine cd, Charles Lloyd and Zakir Hussain, Sangam trio. Gas!! Love the Arabic drums and scales influence on the band. Also been listening to some fine albums from the 50's I couldn't afford to buy then, which are now reissues. An amazing album of Gil Evans stuff (w/o Miles) which I think I remember digging at Lee Harris's house in the late 50's. Love it. In yesterdays NYT Wynton announced they are spending time with this music next season. Cool. Also have early Ahmad Jamal stuff. He was so influential and different. So. here I'm playing catchup. Also have some classical and the new Diana Kral with the Clayton/Hamilton Big Band. OK, not great.
This morning I took time, I have time here, to do an art workshop based on the book "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain". We started simply taking our signature, turning it upside down, and redrawing those shapes. Then the same with another persons signature, to get your eye and brain away from an understood image (the signature) but instead focus on the line..the shapes (s). Then we took a classic painting and did the same, in pastels. Great challenge , and fun, with good results. Especially for taking your mind elsewhere, beyond your scene here. One of the patients with me had a very sever Brain tumor, or face tumor thing, another guy looked a little bit less under the weather. We all enjoyed. Now at 4 pm there is a drum circle. Since I'm digging Zakir I'm getting inspired to do that.
Yeah, I dig having time to draw, listen, and play my guitar. Yesterday the music therapist came by and we sang and played country tunes together. Fun. I gotta get going on that country stuff. I'm enjoying trying to learn thos styles, guitar licks etc.
OK, see you all soon. Again thanks for the e mails, phone calls, prayers, thoughts, blood and platelets. Love,
JIMBO

3 comments:

Randi said...

Hi, Jim. Sounds like you're making the most of your situation, as usual. LOve you lots, Randi

James Buchanan said...

Thanks Jeff, I'll check it out. JIM

Debra said...

Hi, Jim. It was good to spend time with you and Carol yesterday. I hope you're feeling less "shlumpy". Just wanted to let you know I did find the pretzel :)!

See you soon. Elfin sends his love.

Love you,
D.-