Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Wed early

Wed. 3/7 at 5:30 am. Just had the eyedrops; every 6 hours, 5:30 and 11:30, am and pm, started 24 hours before the 1st bag of Chemo.
Have I talked about the wonderful international quality of our staff here?? Anthony, my night assistant nurse for the past 2 nights taking vitals etc. is a Rastamon with a 10 year growth of hair rolled on his head. He's quick and efficient and doesn't socialize much. Yesterdays phlebotomist was Safiyah, a Muslim woman with a lovely Burkah on her head. Many assistant nurses and some nurses are from various islands so we hear a potpourri of accents. They all love Carol when they see her. Carol thoughtfully gave Thanksgiving and Christmas gifts to thank the staff. One of assistants told us she likes Snickers, so she got a big Snickers bar and laughed heartily. The staff is caring and efficient mostly. Sometimes they get overwhelmed. They work 12 hour shifts for 3 or 4 days and then 2 or 3 days off. Mariah (the soldier) was here for my 1st 2 days, but is off today and tomorrow and will be back Friday. I haven't seem "Miss Irish as Paddies Pig" yet this week, Katrina, but maybe today. So, I celebrate this international staff. Somebody must handpick these folks, someone with high standards.

I haven't been able to get to talk to any other patients yet. My roomate is hard of hearing and quite sick. This is the 3rd very sick man in a row I've had for a roomate, and that's a difficult situation for sleeping at night. They need constant help. I feel for them and their condition.
Carol was here after work last night. Great to see her. I miss being home. Bob may come by for lunch today or tomorrow. John and Carolyn are giving platelets on Friday and may be by before or after. I'm reading a John Phee book, profiles of 4 interesting people. OK. Been playing some guitar to keep in shape somewhat. Later. I'm hungry. JIM

3 comments:

Debra said...

Hi, Jim. It was great to see you & Carol on Monday night. You looked very good. I like the buzz cut. I'll see you soon.

Thinking of you & sending love,
Debra & Elfin

Randi said...

Hi, Jim. Just wanted to let you know that the art class (batiking)that was cancelled may be on again. The teacher emailed me to see if we could hold the class in her house instead of the Adult School. She lives in Wayne, and I'm hoping we can work something out. You know how therapeutic art can be....Lots of love from one of your faithful bloggers (Randi)

Barbara said...

Hey Jimbo

Ben's off for a gig, so reading your blog is keeping me company. Thinking about you and Carol, and sending lots of love your way. Looking forward to my monthly breakfast with Carol.

Deena has an idea for a cool music project for my organization. Looking forward to telling you about it. No fields, tents, or risers involved -- its all over the 'net!

Love ya,

Barbara