Sunday, March 18, 2007

Countdown; Spirits Up

Sun., March 18, 4:35 am. Yeah, I know it's early again, but I'm on this schedule whereby I get up right after my 4 am vitals checkup and grab my 1st cup of Joe (DeCaf); feels like the Army here at 4:30 am. It's quiet, but the nurses are working. So I get my cup and sit here with the MacBook cruisin' or writing. My roomates fortunately haven't complained. Really the setup is such that it works easily. Carol is used to me getting up sometimes at 3 am at home, where I get a cup or a snack and sit on my EZ chair and write in my diary (which I forgot to bring here this time) or read the papers etc. And yes I get the NYT here each day; old Morris comes by and greets me "Meester Chjim, nice Mr. Chjim, noospepper, Times, good Meester Chjim". $1.
So, the nose is clear, no more "Rudolph". But since the counts are real low, I think the White Blood Cell count yesterday was 0.2, and I did receive another transfusion of platelets yesterday, the Docs want me to stay here so they continue to give me intravenous anti biotics for safety. Remember last time I avoided coming back in the hospital, and was monitored every other day, and maintained with a daily pill of Levaquin. That evidently was unusual, and this business of having to come back in is a bit more common. Hah!! Drag for me and Carol. I feel fine, normal, energetic and alert, not hurtin' at all. Just a little groggy when they give me Benadryl which is before each infusion of anti-biotics. Really during the platelets infusion my heplock hurt, it had been in since Wed. and I guess things were breaking down a bit, so I called the nurse (Jennifer) who stopped the platelets, called in a phlebotomist who quickly and easily put in a new port, and we continued. Much less pain then. So I'm glad I complained. Carol and I passed the time yesterday reading Trivial Pirsuit questios to each other!! Hah! It's fun. We didn't have the board, just the questions. We've gotten to enjoy Jeopardy for the same reasons. It takes your brain to different places in a hurry, you gotta be quick. We feel we're not as quick as we once were, but that might improve if we keep at it. Carols been back to NYT crossword puzzles, Wii Shortz, just for fun and to keep the brain ticking. Of course Mildred does them hours each day (at 94 guys!!!). And she reads books, and knits, and has her daily routine errands in the house. Its wonderful for her and for us.
So, as for this hospital stay, I could complain; why not let me now go back home and use levaquin again?? But I have to trust the Doctors judgement (Dr. Nicole LaManna has been here leading the team the past 2 days, she you may remember was on rounds when I was 1st checked in on November 13, 2006 and was my covering Doc for about 3 weeks then). So I welcome a phone call or a visit when you get a chance. Nice to hear from Larry T and Tommy G and Gleen M-A the past 2 days. And of course Rivvy calls me each day. Greg gave her a present for her birthday so she's in Texas this weekend, warm and toasty with Shari and Adam and Mia and her siblings. Fun. She got out of town hours before the shutdowns Friday.
So I dig watching some of the NCAA games. Bernie must be fumin' over the Irish loss. Sorry Bern. I can watch games all day long with no guilt, I'm doin' my job!!! Really, it's amazing how much rest and sleep I can comfortably do. Very much unlike my usual routine, so it's interesting. I guess I'm catching up. I'll be well rested and ready to wail when I get outta here. Bob and I will have to shed our tunes again ala Houston and Ron! And Carol and I will have to travel again. Maybe the shore now if it warmsup a bit, but definitely Bethesda real soon. I miss my Grandchildren. But we get to talk on the phone sometimes, if they're not too busy. Hah! It's amazing to hear the social calendar of a 3 year old (almost 4, April 3rd is a comin up) and a 6 year old. These kids have more parties to go to than I ever had. And playdates, and dnace lessons. So cool. Love em.
Gotta go. Give me a shout. JIMBO 973/868-1679.

1 comment:

Randi said...

Hi, Jim. Hope you are still feeling good! Just thinking about you and wanted to say hello. Lots of love, RAndi