Saturday, March 10, 2007

Goin Home

Sat. 3/10. 11 am. D Day, Departure Day.
Yesterday John dropped off a DVD after giving platelets, the Down from the Mountain Concert. Dug it twice. So now, after playing guitar I'm in a folky mood. Outside the window is a crew on a roof working steel.

"I'm a steel workin' man in a steel workin' band under a Bay Crane wire all day long,
My back is a achin' and my knees are a shakin' under a Bay Crane pulley all day long,
The boss man's a cuss but I don't make a fuss cause my face is a burnin' in the wind,
The torch is a cuttin' and the food is lousy muttin' and my but is a pushin' for a sit,
I'm a steel workin' man in a steel workin' band under a Bay Crane wire all day long
We're on top of the river by the sliver of York, just a liftin' and shiftin' all day long.

etc.etc.etc. We'll see what happens with that, in any case it's fun to hear the wonderful sounds.
Gotta shower. Riv will here soon, CB too, and then as soon as I get the word I'm outta here. Later. JIMBO

5 comments:

Glenn Metsch-Ampel said...

Hey, Jim,
I'm glad to hear you're home. I'm wishing you an easy post-chemo week. It was good talking to you on Saturday - you sounded strong, grounded and deep. Dylan and I really enjoyed playing guitar with you weekend before last. I think Dylan leaves your place feeling a little cooler than when he went in (and maybe his old man, too!). I digitized some music recently, including a song by Joan Armatrading that includes the refrain: "Some days the bear will eay you, some days you eat the bear. Me, I'm eating, the bear..." Made me think of you. Spring is in the air today - I hope you can sit outside and bask in the warm sun this week, as you continue healing. Judging from the amazing lyric in your last MSK blog, this spring may be the time of your rebirth as a full-blown blues man! You're certainly paying your dues. I look forward to swinging by again when you're feeling up to it. Keep on eating the bear, Jim...
Much love,
Glenn

James Buchanan said...

Thanks Glenn. Yeah it's a Bear alright, but with your help, and the rest of the gang, I seem to be at least takin' a big bite. I've never taken enough time to strum and pick before. Who would have thought this would be my time for that. I'm loving it. One challenge opens other opportunities. Life is full of unusual paths. Gotta follow them and keep your eyes and ears open for whats in the woods.

bezalel said...

2 weeks ago I had never had any communication in my life with my wonderful cousin Laurie Salka.I'm on the left coast in the San Francisco Bay area; came from Boston 15 years ago.Lived in NYC for almost 6 yrs. I came here to marry my sweetheart from the New York days:1955-56. We had 6 great years together until ovarian cancer did her in.I know all about doctors appointments, blood tests, chemo, catscans,side-effects, vomitting- so I also know how courageous you are.Keep the blog going, enjoy the opportunities as they show up, and
know you have a friend who is rooting for you in Palo Alto, CA
DANIEL BERNSTEIN

James Buchanan said...

Wonderful to meet you Dan. I'm sorry for your loss. You know how dear Laurie and Bruce are to our family. My son in law, Rabbi Greg Harris is from the Bay area. I have cousins there too. I'll be out to see you when I get sprung!!. JIM

Unknown said...

Everyone at Lifelong Learners Roundtable was asking after you on Monday. We keep you in our hearts and there will always be a place for you at the table. I hope you can be there with us in the fall. Last fall Iz Kalish was with us every other day, with chemo in between. He's doing fine now.

Remember last fall when I was going to do a DVD presentation and the player was broken? I went to Plan B. Yesterday the player was there, working, but the batteries in the control were dead, so the group heard Plan C. Next fall, I hope, Plan A.

Love and hugs,
Carrie Howson