Saturday, May 12, 2007

Last Bag

Sat., 5/12/07. 6:15am. Just hung the last bag of Chemo-3 hours drip. Then eye drops, DexaMethasone (Sp?) which are given each 6 hours since before the 1st bag. Prevents burning up the eyeballs. The AraC is pretty strong stuff. I turn red, flushed looking. It hasn't fortunately effected any other organs to my knowledge, so far feel ok, but it gives the Bone Marrow quite a hit knocking out everything over the next couple of days. It interferes with the enzymes cancer cells need to develop, taking out my immune system with it. But, they cover us guys with antibiotics (Levequain etc) and blood and platelet transfusions. That's why I'll be returning to the hospital Mon (thanks Bud) and Tues. (thanks John) for checkups, see what backups I need. Now is the time to prevent infections colds etc. Thats what put my ass back here for 10 days extra last round. Same with my past 3 or 4 roomates, post Chemo infections. It can be a dangerous time. Meantime, I'm feeling ok enough to groove a bit. At 4 am the roomate called for help, that woke me up, so I putup the MacBook and listen to Bach Partitas (Gidon Kramer and his Guarneri), then Joni Mitchell with Jaco, Pat, Michael, Lyle, Don Alias and the Persuasions, Shadows and Light. Thanks Scotty. I've dug that 2 times this week. Also 5 other DVDs (all in 1 sleepless night) and many new CDs. Fun. Can't wait to get home to my basses and guitars today. And of course Carols loving arms. This is a lonely week for both of us. But, we're dealing what we got dealt. It's OK. Opens up new worlds of understanding and challenge, not without rewards. The people we've met; the support we've felt. The roomate needed the heat turned down, I was already cold, so I wrapped myself in my healing blanket (thanks Peggy and Barbara) and got comfy. Its funny, I get up at 5 to get a cup o Joe with my hat and the blanket, I look like some healer Ghuru!. Hah!! Sometimes I wish the food/snacks were available at night; gotta work that out for next time. Maybe a jar of peanut butter and some Motzah, just a bit to take off the edge now and then. Gotta watch the sugar levels. The steroids given before Chemo for anti-nausea etc. drive me up over 300 sometimes. Oi ve is mere!!! Up the insulin. Really, except for that, I've mostly been in a good range. Well, they're coming to take blood labwork to get ready to send me home. Chemo ends 9:30 or so. Then when we get the bloodwork report we'll see what support I need before I leave. In the past I needed a transfusion or 2, but hopefully not today, let's just get outta town. Carol will be here 2 pm or so and I hope to be comfortably at home for dinner. Thanks for your support guys. Thanks Katrina, Mariah, Alicia, Nicole, Nan, all the staff. Best to Brad, Peter, and all my Chemo Sabbes (that's Michaels little joke). Love you all. Peace. JIMBO

No comments: